Opening date – 8 February 2014
Closing date – 30th April 2014
Entries must be submitted online, on the Writivism website. No mark as to the identity of the writer should be made on the story itself. No entries will be considered if submitted after this date. The competition long-list (of fifteen to twenty five stories) shall be announced on the 15th of May 2014 and the short-list (of five stories) on the 1st of June 2014. Winners shall be announced on Short Story Day Africa, the 21st of June 2014 at an Awards Evening during the Writivism Mini-Festival 2014 in Kampala, Uganda.
1. The Writivism Short Story Prize is an annual award for emerging African writers administered by the Center for African Cultural Excellence (CACE).
2. Entrants must be unpublished writers, resident in an African country. One is deemed published if they have a book of their own.
3. There will be five sub-regional winners (Eastern, Western, Central, Southern and Northern) and one overall winner. The overall winner of the Writivism Short Story Prize will receive UGX 1,000,000, second place winner UGX 500,000, third place winner UGX 250,000 and the remaining five regional winners UGX 200,000.
4. Questions of eligibility shall be resolved by the CACE administration and their decision is final.
5. Entries must be submitted online, by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org as attachments (not in the body email), clearly labeled in the the subject: Writivism Competition 2014. The writer must include in the body of the email, other information about him/her, as country of residence, age, legal name and pen name (where applicable) and telephone contact.
6. Only one entry per writer may be submitted for the Writivism Short Story Prize. The story must be original and previously unpublished in any form except on the writer’s personal blog.
7. All entries must be in English, and 2,000 – 3,000 words long.
8. Entries should be attached in Microsoft Word or Rich Text formats, with the title of the story as the file name. The first page of the story should include the name of the story and the number of words. The entry must be typed in Times New Roman 12 point font and 1.5 line spacing. No mention should be made on the identity of the writer in the entry.
9. Entrants agree as a condition of entry that CACE may publicize the fact that a story has been entered, longlisted or shortlisted for the Prize. The shortlisted writers and winners of the competition will be expected to participate in readings, The Writivism mini-Festival and school tours.
10. Worldwide copyright of each story remains with the writer. CACE will have the unrestricted right to publish the long-listed stories in an anthology and for promotional purposes.
11. Prize sub-regions; Eastern Africa (Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia and Eritrea); Central Africa (Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African Republic, Congo Brazaville, Chad, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Sao Tome and Principe, Cameroon and Niger); Northern Africa (Egypt, Mali, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia and Sudan); Southern Africa (South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, Botswana, Madagascar, Lesotho and Swaziland) and Western Africa (Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea Conakry, Guinea Bissau, Gambia and Senegal).